Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Viva Mexico!

First of all, Happy Cinco de Mayo! I am excited to see all the Mexican flags flying around town today. I love Mexican culture - the art, music, celebrations and food. Mmm... Mexican food. Don't even get me started on luchadores! We're fans, we have lil' figurines of luchadores throughout the house. We get plenty of questions, 'Uh, what is... That?' I'm planning on making enchiladas later tonight for dinner and relaxing with a cool Modelo. How will you be celebrating Mexico today?


This next recipe is Mexican, too! Well, it could be Cuban or Brazilian or anything, really. It's my own take on a black bean soup. When I got home from teaching last night I was completely famished. Thankfully, this soup is a breeze to toss together.


Easy Breezy Black Bean Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
pepper to taste
2 celery stalks - sliced n' diced
2 carrots - thinly sliced
2 cans black beans - rinsed and drained
1 can salsa- I adore Mrs. Renfro's, delish!
3 cups water
fresh cilantro and lime to garnish

Saute the onion and add the celery and carrots. Let saute together for a bit before adding the black beans, salsa, water and spices. Once everything is all in the same pot, let simmer until your house starts to smell delicious. Pour yourself a bowl and garnish with some goodies! I cut up some left over tortillas and placed them in the oven at 350 on the pizza stone to crisp. They make a fun garnish. Ooh! Don't forget to put some avocado on top, too! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment